Inspire Treatment for Sleep Apnea
Inspire treatment for sleep apnea is FDA-approved and helps people with moderate to severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) who are not receiving consistent benefits from continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP).
- Inspire therapy is a fully implanted system that delivers mild stimulation to keep a patient’s airway open during sleep.
- Inspire therapy does not require a mask.
- Results from the STAR clinical trial, recently published in the New England Journal of Medicine, showed that Inspire therapy can significantly reduce sleep apnea events and significantly improve patient quality of life measures.
How Does Inspire Therapy Work?
Inspire therapy is a fully implanted system, controlled with a small handheld Inspire sleep remote. The implanted system consists of three fully implanted components: a small generator, a breathing sensor lead, and a stimulation lead.
When activated, Inspire therapy senses breathing patterns and delivers mild stimulation to key airway muscles, which keeps the airway open during sleep. A patient simply turns the therapy on before bed and off upon waking using the handheld Inspire sleep remote.
The Inspire system is typically implanted during an outpatient procedure. After implantation, physicians optimize therapy settings for a patient during a routine sleep study. A patient will then typically return once a year for a checkup.
Inspire Therapy Advantages
- Clinically proven to provide significant reductions in OSA and significant improvements in quality of life
- In contrast to conventional OSA surgeries, Inspire therapy preserves natural airway and facial anatomy
- Does not require a mask or oral appliance
- Simple and easy-to-use, putting patients in control of their OSA
Inspire Therapy Videos